location: Dresden
client: Staatsbetrieb Sächsisches Immobilien- und Baumanagement
area: 1.7 ha
competition (1. prize): 2012

1/5
back forward back forward back forward back forward back forward

Dresden Zwinger Place inner courtyard restoration

The Zwinger site, in 1709 conceived as „l´orangerie royale de dresde“ and utilised by August II the Strong, went through a continuous development that lasts until today. Ermisch‘s interpretive conversion to Baroque in the 1920s is the built conflict between the fairground and the garden court. The further handling of planning aims at the further optimisation of this hybrid utilisation and design typology.

Today the Zwinger is an important public passage and staying area in the central urban structure on which several million people walk every year. Additionally it is the main access area for the adjacent museums of the Dresden State Art Collections. Besides its function as public urban space the Zwinger is an event location for concerts and theatre plays. Matching the future intended type and intensity of utilisation the choice of an appropriate path surface has to be emphasized during the restoration of the inner courtyard. The design by Ermisch with its lawn parterres and water basins is respected and will be retained. Placing small orange trees in buckets generates an additional historical layer.

project data

location: Dresden
client: Staatsbetrieb Sächsisches Immobilien- und Baumanagement
area: 1.7 ha
competition (1. prize): 2012